Thursday, May 31, 2007

Doing What I Do Best.

Today I finally got to shoot some footage. I traveled across the capital to a camp for children who have been arrested for crimes and are awaiting trial. They stay at this camp taking classes and learning trades ( Thanks to AVSI ) until their court date arrives. The crimes vary from murder and rape to petty theft and minor offences. AVSI has helped to give these children something to do while they wait, such as woodwork workshops and classes in English, Math etc. Despite the reasons for these kids being here the place was very relaxed and almost cheerful. There was a great sense of hope among all the inmates. My guide, Martin has helped to counsel the children and offer them aid as far as locating their families and also relocating them to schools in the area if they are freed.
We then moved on to visit a high school where children are taught skills that will help them to find a job. Classes consist of Carpentry, Metal working, Construction and English to name a few. The students spend two years learning these trades which greatly increase their chances of getting a job. The school was founded by a member of AVSI and multiple NGOs now help to maintain it. It was a wonderful place to visit and experience.
I have only been here two days and already I am feeling very at home, everyone is friendly and charming. Last night I went out for drinks and ate some amazing french food, I am told there is no such thing as a Ugandan restaurant.
I leave for the north tomorrow so this may be my last post for a bit, but we will see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And then you will be going to the land of LRA. Good Luck!!!

Sal said...

Oliver,

Glad to hear your journey has started on the right foot and the people are warm and friendly even given tough conditions. No such thing as an Ugandan restaurant..in Uganda?!